One week post op DS and concerned

Pinknurse
on 7/16/12 10:34 am - TN
DS on 07/09/12
 Hi all! I realize it is probably too soon to be concerned about this, but I can't help but wonder if my stomach will ever feel "normal" again?? I constantly feel pressure and a fullness all day long. My surgeon has me on 4 weeks of liquid post op and I can barely stomach all 64oz, let alone the 60g of protein I am required to take in. Just looking for someone to tell me it's gonna get better! 

Herman
on 7/16/12 11:24 am
 If the protein bothers you right now, then you may want to just concentrate on the liquids for now. This early out the fluids are the most important. Most DSers have a saying, 30 grams of protein by 30 days out, 60 grams of protein by 60 days out and 90 by 90 days.
It will get better. Just hang in there.
 Lap-band 2007
 DS 2009
Pinknurse
on 7/16/12 11:36 am - TN
DS on 07/09/12
 Thank you for the encouragement! I'm trying to stay positive!

happydsr
on 7/16/12 2:44 pm
On July 16, 2012 at 5:34 PM Pacific Time, Pinknurse wrote:
 Hi all! I realize it is probably too soon to be concerned about this, but I can't help but wonder if my stomach will ever feel "normal" again?? I constantly feel pressure and a fullness all day long. My surgeon has me on 4 weeks of liquid post op and I can barely stomach all 64oz, let alone the 60g of protein I am required to take in. Just looking for someone to tell me it's gonna get better! 
 your tummy is swollen and it will be a while before it reaches your new normal.  Just keep at it, and you will reach the levels you need.  And yes, hydration is the most important at this stage.  Protien shakes can help you with both hydration and protien levels

good luck
J G.
on 7/16/12 3:31 pm
aww, I'm sorry, hon.  Yes, it's gonna get better.  Are you taking something like Prilosec, morning and night?  And a good probiotic?  Stay hydrated.  :o)
mrsannie
on 7/16/12 9:07 pm
 Yes it will get better, but not overnight.  It took me 5 weeks to be able to say "I feel better to today!"  Food is not as important as water right now.  I didn't feel like eating at all and was full of gas.  I would walk around the house and try to "expel" it!

It will get better.  You had major surgery and your body needs time to heal.  My best advice is drink and sleep.  Do the best you can and don't force it, your body will let you know when its ready for more.  Protein shakes gave me lots of gas post-op so that may be an issue, but soon you should be moving on to soft foods and you'll figure out what you can and can not eat.  Don't pu****  You are at the point where you should start to feel better.  The recovery really sucks, but the results are so worth it!  Soon you'll be the one on this end giving advice.

Good luck!

Nothing will change if you don't have the courage to change it!
      And stop calling me "Shirley!"    
shannn
on 7/16/12 9:33 pm - Knoxville , TN
 It will absolutely get better, I promise. Your stomach has been sliced & diced and it's letting you know about it. Hang in there! 
~shannon
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." ~E. Roosevelt

(Ticker includes 11 pounds lost in pre-op diet.) 

Pinknurse
on 7/16/12 11:01 pm - TN
DS on 07/09/12
 Thanks so much everyone for your replys and encouragement. Yes, I am taking Prilosec and a probiotic daily. I am also getting my vitamins in every day. I am going to just concentrate on getting my fluids in and stop being so hard on myself.

MajorMom
on 7/16/12 11:59 pm - VA
Great advice from some folks I respect. Also remember your shakes count towards your fluids - you don't have to separate them when you're counting. If you use 6 oz to blend a shake, count those 6 oz towards your fluids too. And, they're right about not sweating about 100 grams of protein right off the bat, just do your best. :)

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

AundreaSmith
on 7/17/12 2:56 am - Caledonia, MI
DS on 03/12/12
Hang in there, the first couple of months are tough.  Like a lot of other have said, stay hydrated.  Remember to sip your fluids, get in your water and don't overly concern yourself with the protein yet. 

For the first few weeks, my surgeon wasn't concerned with my protein intake, he wanted to make sure I was getting in enough fluids.   I also suffered from a lot of esophageal spasms which were pretty uncomfortable and felt like I had food caught right at the base of my throat.  If this is where your discomfort is, give your surgeon a call.  They gave me a dissoluble tablet (minty) and it eased the pain GREATLY.

Hang in there, your healing and swollen (internally).  I know it feels pretty bleak in the beginning, but it does get better. 

I wish you all the best! 

HW: 404/ SW: 380/  GW: 155

Most Active
Happy Hump Day !
EnjoynLife · 0 replies · 124 views